The Big Apple, the City that Never Sleeps, NYC. Whatever you call it, New York City is an incredible place to visit and, as a resident of this great city, an even better place to call home. Since moving here last July, I have been lucky enough to host friends and family and one common question I get is “What do I need to pack?” especially since most of them are visiting from Florida. I wanted to create a New York City packing list, but I couldn’t decide on seasonal packing lists or one big one and decided to create the ultimate packing list! With sections for each major season, I hope this helps with everyone’s NYC packing needs!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase via my link I get a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps support my blog and provide free content for you! Read my disclosure policy here.
These are the things you always pack regardless of the season. You can adjust this list to meet your needs, but there are a few New York City specific items that I HIGHLY recommend you include.
- Be sure to bring all your basics. Shampoo, conditioner, facewash, toothpaste, and a toothbrush are at the top of this list. I also always pack a great lotion because my skin gets really dry when I travel. Also New York City can be very dry at times, especially the wintertime!
- Underwear and Socks
- Be sure to pack enough for the length of your trip. You need underwear, bras, and socks. One New York specific tip I have is to pack extra socks! When it rains here, the puddles are intense and have been known to soak through shoes, so extra socks are a must. I personally just buy a big pack of socks on Amazon whenever I need new ones.
- Beauty Products
- Comfortable Walking Shoes
- Tank Tops and T-Shirts for Layering
- One Nicer outfit
- New York City is the type of place where you always want to be prepared to get fancy. Whether its because you scored theater tickets or because you want to go to a nice dinner, bring one great dress or skirt that you can wear to a fancier occasion.
- A Cardigan
- No matter the season, always bring a versatile cardigan with you. If its fall, spring, or winter, its another layer to keep you warm. If its summertime, its a way to protect yourself from the sometimes intense A/C in certain places.
- Crossbody Purse
- Nicer Shoes for evenings
- For the same reason you need to pack a nicer outfit, you need nicer shoes. My go-to here is a pair of Tieks. Even better, they take up almost no space in my luggage, are comfortable, and hold up so well! I highly recommend making the investment in a pair.
With each season of the year, the weather can differ greatly and the activities you might partake in change as well so these are some specific things you will need for each season of the year! I am not going to go into a ton of details here, but I am going to link to some of my favorite items in case you want recommendations! I am also happy to answer questions in the comments or via email!
- A Wool coat
- Cute Sweaters
- Boots(preferably weather proof)
- A good Moisturizer
- Gloves and a hat
- A warm coat(puffer coat recommended)
- Warm gloves with touchscreen ability
- Winter hat
- Snow boots
- Really good lotion for face and body
- Tights for under jeans
This list may seem like a bit much, but I promise it covers all your bases! No matter what season you are visiting New York City, its an amazing place! Now that you have packing covered, if you want some ideas of things to do on your visit, check out this post!
From one Misguided Millennial to the world, happy packing and I hope you enjoy NYC as much as I do!